Just Right Jillian by Nicole D Collier
MG Contemporary, Coming in February 2022 from Clarion Books, 224 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- I wanted a bit more of the other characters. Granted, this is Jillian’s story (obviously) and we do get a little of the others. But if I said I wasn’t wondering what home is like for Marquez and William, I’d be lying! I’m just saying, I see spin off potential here.
What I Did Like:
- Jillian. She’s relatable, adorable, and totally realistic. Middle grade readers will relate to her struggles and root for her.
- Realistic goals. Jillian isn’t looking to win the Nobel Prize in fifth grade. Her goals are realistic and relatable. Her struggles are real.
- Friendship goals. I loved how this friend group formed naturally without struggle or force. I like how we started the book feeling isolated and developed into one of the group. It was comforting and beautiful.
Who Should Read This One:
- Middle grade readers! Teachers, this should be a staple in a classroom from 4th up to even 6th grade. The struggles will relate to what kids go through and the journey is inspiring.
My Rating: 4 Stars.
This is a wonderful middle grade contemporary book.