Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
YA Fantasy, 2009 by Scholastic Press, 392 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- The voices are too similar. Switching between Sam and Grace didn’t work because they read like the same character. I like some variety, some change in word choice, something to separate them.
- The ending was predictable and a little weak. I wanted more and I definitely wanted to be surprised a little.
- The romance didn’t work for me. Which is unfortunate since it felt like the most important part of the story. I’m not a big fan of instalove, which this felt like. I’m also not sure how I feel about when Grace “fell in love with” Sam.
What I Did Like:
- Interesting take on werewolves. The concept of temperature having an affect on their ability to change was cool. I also like the theory that was thrown around of how this related to the more traditional lore.
- Fast read. The pacing is well done to keep this one moving and it doesn’t drag too much in the middle.
- Cover is beautiful. I basically cover-shopped for this one. You just have to appreciate a cover that can drag you into something just because it’s so beautiful, right?
Who Should Read This One:
- If you like werewolf stories and you like soul mate stories, this is your niche.
Leave a Reply