When I Was You by Amber Garza
A Mystery/Thriller, 2020 by MIRA, 368 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- Errors. One grammatical that I noticed, one typographical that I noticed, and a continuity one that really bugged me.
- The way some characters treat depression as “crazy” really irked me. I suppose that was the point.
- Some twists were predictable.
- Some of the jumps to the past were very confusing. Most of them worked out later and made sense though.
What I Did Like:
- Some unpredictable twists. I definitely didn’t have it all figured out.
- Unreliable narrator. Heck, there’s not a reliable character in this entire book. I love a realistic , incredibly flawed character who makes you wonder if they’re redeemable and this book is PACKED with those.
- Ending. I like an ending that takes you by surprise and lingers in your mind. I liked this one. Great ending to discuss with a book club.
Who Should Read This One:
- Psychological thriller fans who like unreliable narrators and big twists.
My Rating: 3 Stars
- I had to consider the errors that will throw some people but, overall, this is a good thriller that reads fast.