The Roots That Clutch by AE Bross
YA Fantasy, 2020 by AE Bross, 247 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- Some slower spots. It’s not really a pacing issue because it matches the mood but it’s worth mentioning. If you’re new to fantasy this might be jarring (but it’s pretty common in the first book for a fantasy series).
- Some deaths that are hard to get by. Consider that a content warning.
What I Did Like:
- Beautiful language. This reads like poetry in some spots. Just wonderful use of language.
- Fantastic blend of a fantasy world with characters and elements that feel contemporary.
- The ending. Love the way this wrapped up this part of the story while simultaneously arcing right into the next book.
Who Should Read This One:
- Fantasy fans. You’re dropped into an amazing world here and care has been taken to give you immersive details.
- Contemporary fiction fans. Ok, technically this is fantasy. But the MC feels so realistic and her struggles are so relatable that you’ll love watching her grow and come into her own. Give it a try!
My Rating: 5 Stars
- Beautiful blend of a fantasy world with the daily life and struggles for a character who just feels realistic like she could be living right now.