Sky Chase by Lauren Massuda
YA Fantasy, 2021 by Water Dragon Publishing, 272 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- There are some comments about a character’s weight that are not at all needed. It made me cringe a bit whenever it was mentioned.
- There’s a big multi POV cast that can be confusing. There are a few with similar names and a lot to keep track of. Plus I didn’t see many variations in voice. Many of the characters sound alike in their chapters.
- Some grammatical errors usually in the form of a missing or swapped word. It’s not too distracting and I was able to figure out what was intended every time.
What I Did Like:
- Cool concept. A world of floating islands requiring ships to get from one to another? That’s a neat idea. I even like the twist at the end (no spoilers) that I look forward to exploring in a future book.
- The downside to trusting people you have to work with is highlighted in an interesting way. Who can you trust? Knowing that trusting no one will lead to your literal demise? I liked the message buried there.
- This one resolves the major problem for this book well but still builds enough interest in the character and the world for a second book. It’s a well done opener for the series.
Who Should Read This One:
- Fantasy fans who like other worlds and strong characters.
- Fans of adventure quest type books.
- Note: this is a young YA. I’d have no trouble at all handing this to an advanced middle grade reader.
My Rating: 4 stars
- This is a well done fantasy and I like the way the adventure plays out.
Leave a Reply