Promises & Pomegranates by Sav R. Miller
Dark Romance, Aug 2021 Independent Published, 380 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- I had a hard time connecting with either character. I didn’t care for our FMC. Kal was a little easier to connect with but not much for me.
- This book was described as the first in a series. (monsters & muses series) Once you begin reading it becomes very clear that you as the reader have missed something if you start with this one. There appears to have been an integral relationship with our main characters that you aren’t aware of if you haven’t read the Novella available on the authors website. I hadn’t. This was an issue for me, If this novella is so important then it should have been book 1 or more openly mentioned BEFORE you begin this book.
- This book, even though it is a play on Hades & Persephone, had one too many references to them for me. The characters were constantly comparing each other to Hades & Persephone and were using their references a lot. It just wasn’t for me.
What I Did Like:
- The way that Kal’s issue with sounds was described was so wonderful. I have a soft spot for any main character who has a well described “issue”. This was so well described that as a read you can 100% relate with him. Also made you understand him a little more.
- The romance between Kal and Elena was so well written. It was dark-so read the trigger warnings – but it was developed well and it really at times was sweet and caring.
- SPOILER ALERT – the turn in this one towards the end (not quite the end) where they separate was great. Kal doesn’t immediately run after her and try to force her to do anything. He has learned and he gives her just enough space and really shows his depth. It was a great turn of events and I really enjoyed the step outside of the box that this author chose.
Who Should Read This One:
- Lovers of Dark romance. There are some themes that regular romance readers-or non romance readers could find disturbing. So make sure you check the trigger warnings she provides in the beginning.