Heartless by Tom Leveen
YA Horror, Independently Published in 2018, 284 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- I wanted more of the monster lore. Of course, I’m a total geek for that stuff so that could be why. I liked that it was included at all, I just wanted more.
- Classic bad decisions from our horror characters that may make you scream at your copy of the book. I mean, did we really not have big red flags at the cold skin?
- I want another one! This should be a series.
What I Did Like:
- GREAT opening line! In fact, good opening scene. The juxtaposition between this scene and the next is just shocking enough to get your attention while still being connected to the story in a way that works.
- Excellent characters. It took ONE chapter for me to feel connected to Baylee and Elijah. They’re just incredibly well written.
- The banter with this group of teens is PHENOMENAL. I was laughing out loud in public. It was great!
- LOVE the inclusion of a monster we don’t see a lot in horror stories. Also loved the characters batting down the idea of the mainstream ones so quickly. Mention them but throw them out!
Who Should Read This One:
- Stranger Things fans. The mix of horror, dangerous creatures, and teenagers just works!
My Rating: 4 Stars
- Excellent horror, recommended for all fans of the genre!