Those Beneath by Almedia Ryan
YA Fantasy, 2023 by Lost Boys Press, 329 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- I never feel like a story needs an epilogue that wraps everything up nicely so I didn’t need this one either. But many readers like that!
- I wanted a bit more from the big confrontation that is the ending. This felt rushed and almost had an air of “too easy”.
- There were components of this story that felt familiar, like we’ve heard them before. I will say they came together in a unique way, though.
What I Did Like:
- Beautiful language. Descriptions and banter are equally well presented and make for a compelling story.
- From the moment where things change (I don’t do spoilers so I’m avoiding mentioning WHAT changed) I was completely hooked. This story had a great vibe right from the drop, but this change WORKED.
- The characters are amazing. Their individual natures come through, the romance works, and the descriptions are well done. I adored them!
Who Should Read This One:
- Fans who like when fantasy worlds collide with modern day.
- Fans of my 30 Days Without Wings will like this one! It’s got great similarities but enough changes to keep it fresh. Plus, great characters.