Have You Seen Her by Catherine McKenzie
A Mystery/Thriller, 2023 by Atria Books, 336 Pages
What I Didn’t Like:
- Slow start. This book is a mystery/thriller and it does pick up speed, but the beginning “before” chapters are dry and slow.
- I didn’t have anyone to root for. I didn’t particularly like or trust any of the characters.
- The ending felt a little too quick for the story we had been telling. The plot does a sort of slow build up to big reveals and then just pulls the rug out for the ending. I would’ve liked to see the writer take a little more time with the resolution.
What I Did Like:
- Unreliable narrator fans might appreciate the secrets that build, making you wonder if you can even trust this main character.
- The story does pick up speed and leans into the mystery/thriller aspects as it progresses. You learn more and more about the character and the situation she’s in, which helps to add to the intrigue.
- The mystery itself is unpredictable, which is good. You don’t see it all coming or have it all figured out.
Who Should Read This One:
- Fans of unreliable narrator stories where you spend the book digging for answers.