I have always had a rather active imagination. Not surprising, really, since I became a fantasy writer. My mind wanders constantly, often creating random “what if…” situations. I got better at writing those down as I got older. They often become the ideas for my books or scenes in a book.
Here are a few of the recent ones I’ve caught myself thinking “what if…” about:
- What if one of my children wandered off and disappeared in a store
- What if I got rear ended while driving
- What if a dragon landed in my driveway
- What if a meteor crashed into the dry river bed at the end of the street
- What if my backyard flooded
You can see how any of these could be imagined into a book or a scene, right? Once I started learning to play these out like mini movies in my head and write them down, it was a game changer for my writing.
What about you? What are some of your crazy “what if…” things?