I finished my last 5 books in July at the buzzer! Seriously, I think I finished four books in three days and that final one wasn’t finished until the 30th. CRAZY. Anyway, the video went up today so let’s take a look at the details.
Age Category: 1 YA, 4 A
Heavily skewed toward the adult category this time. I’d love to tell you that was because I was in the mood for something challenging. In reality this was all pretty much shield challenges or ARC so I can’t really say that. One of these times I’ll read exclusively mood reads for one video just to see how different it is.
Author’s Gender: 4 F, 1 M
Yikes talk about skews. Actually, according to analytics, this is the one area where I’m ALWAYS skewed. I heavily lean toward female writers.
Genres: 1 Fantasy, 2 Horror, 1 Contemporary, 1 Romance
Look at horror coming in hot this time. I can’t really say that’s mood reading either since one was an ARC and the other was a review request … but I was actually in the mood for horror.
Indie Authors: 2 Y, 3 N
Although one of those traditionally published was a small press.
Total Pages Read: 1,467
Average Pages per Book: 293.4
I’m not sure anymore if that is low. I’m going to have to do a better job of tracking that in 2021 so I know what’s “normal” for me. I do know that this round was very uneven. One book had over 500 pages while one had less than 100.
Ratings: 2, 3, 4, 4, 5
Not bad. I like when it’s skewed toward higher rated books. I hate rating books problematic or not-for-me, but that’s how it goes sometimes.
Book Notes That Didn’t Make the Video
Slow Wanes the Night
- This is the sequel to Long Grows the Dark, which I previously rated 4 stars and constantly rave about because it involved young adults using magic in a way that was realistic!
- This cover is GORGEOUS. I said that about the first book in this series as well. They are detailed, related to the story we’re telling, and beautiful.
- Support indie authors and grab yourself a copy of this one here.
It Will Just Be Us
- This was an electronic Advanced Reader Copy from NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books.
- Absolutely LOVED the vibe of this one. Honestly, I said this in the video but it’s worth repeating, if you love haunted house books you need this one in your life.
- Preorder your copy of this one here (it comes out in August).
I Don’t Know How She Does It
- This one ended up on my TBR sort of by accident. I picked up the sequel one night on a shelf, drawn by the title and cover. I liked the description but realized it was a sequel. So I added the first one, sight unseen, to my TBR. Then it became available on audiobook and the rest is history.
- I listened to this one as an audiobook from my library.
- If you haven’t read this one and my review doesn’t scare you off, get your copy here.
Now You Don’t
- I actually have the ebook of this one, which I believe I downloaded for free from Tom’s website. But when the opportunity came up to be a reviewer with an audiobook code, I jumped at the chance. I’m glad I did! This was a great little audiobook.
- I listened to this one during the day and I’m SO GLAD I did. This one may have been a little creepy in the dark at night by myself. Daytime reading if you’re sensitive to scares, for sure!
- Grab a copy of this one FOR FREE from the author right here.
Just One of the Boys
- I bought this one as an ebook when it earned the shield for oldest book on my TBR.
- Alright, full disclosure time. I’m a hockey player. So when I say I had to suspend my disbelief for the hockey things it was tips you’d give new players, actual experience playing, years of watching, and what it’s like to be in a locker room with a bunch of hockey players expertise I was speaking of. Hard for me to turn that all off. I laughed out loud a few times at things that were wrong. If you don’t have all that background you’ll likely enjoy this one more than I did.
- Grab yourself a copy of this one here.
Watch the full reviews right here.
Just don’t forget to pop over and subscribe to the channel when you’re done. Thanks!