I’ve finished my first 5 book reviews for August. Let’s dive into the details.
Age Category: 1 MG, 2 YA, 2 A
This is a good mix. Isn’t this a good mix?
Author’s Gender: 4 F, 1 M
Oops. At this point I think I would be more shocked if this category WASN’T skewed.
Genres: 2 Mystery/Thriller, 2 Fantasy, 1 Contemporary
All my favorites.
Indie Authors: 2 Y, 3 N
Again, as close to 50/50 as you can get when you read books in crops of 5.
Total Pages Read: 1,495
Average Pages per Book: 299
I think this is low. This feels low.
Ratings: 2, 3, 4, 4, 5
Really, with one obvious exception, this was a great crop of books!
Book Notes That Didn’t Make the Video
- This was an ebook I received from the author in exchange for an honest review.
- This book has one of those titles that actually appear in the text of the book. Normally I don’t notice things like that, but this time I totally did. Everytime it was repeated I found it incredibly exciting. I have no idea why. I guess that just means this was a good title for this book.
- Support indie authors and grab yourself a copy of this one here.
The Whispering Skull
- I listened to this one as an audiobook which I borrowed from my local library.
- This is the sequel to The Screaming Staircase, which I previously rated 4 stars for its take on ghost stories and sarcasm.
- Get yourself a copy of this one here.
The Silvered Serpents
- This is the sequel to The Gilded Wolves, which I previously rated 3 stars. Actually, I was approved for the ARC of The Silvered Serpents BEFORE I ever even heard of the first book. I loved the cover and the description, which is why I applied for the ARC. Then I rushed out and borrowed the first book when I was approved.
- I was nervous about this book because I was lukewarm about the first one. I’m so glad I read this one! In my opinion, this book is definitely better than the original.
- Preorder yourself a copy here.
- I love Jodi Picoult. She’s one of my favorite authors. This one got added to by TBR along with a bunch of other Picoult books after a visit to her website where I learned she’s written a bunch that I haven’t read. It earned the shield for lowest rated, which is how it came up this month.
- This one felt like an experiment. Like someone from Amazon approached Picoult about writing something to try out this Kindle in Motion idea. I hope I’m wrong and this was development of a character or story idea that will be making a comeback. But seeing as how this came out in 2017 and she’s releasing something totally different soon … I’m not hopeful.
- Grab yourself a copy (if you have Kindle Unlimited it’s free) here.
Soul of the Crow
- I agreed to read this ARC after reading (and adoring) Blood Awakens also by Jessaca Willis.
- Jessaca has done an AMAZING job lining up advanced readers and getting publicity for this cover going on social media. The cover is gorgeous and the book is great. Go read it.
- Support indie authors and get yourself a copy here.
Alright, here are those reviews in all their glory. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply